Men’s Health is the branch of medicine that focusses on the care of a man’s well-being and in the treatment of his illnesses. Men’s health specialists include Internists, Surgeons, Urologists, Dermatologists, and other specialists that can help address the specific health needs of a man. Essentially, any health issue or disease that is specifically afflicting a man can be a topic of interest under the specialty of Men’s health.
These health issues include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Sexual dysfunction - sexual dysfunction in men includes erectile dysfunction (impotence), premature ejaculation, and low libido. These disorders prevent a man from finding pleasure in sexual activity. These disorders can be effectively managed by urologists and internists.
- Infertility - infertility is a concern that is common for both men and women. Male infertility can be due to many factors: low sperm count, low sperm activity, and anatomic abnormality in the passageway of sperms. The problem of infertility requires a comprehensive evaluation of the man and his partner. A reproductive endocrinologist or a urologist can manage this condition.
- Benign prostatic hypertrophy - BPH or prostate enlargement is a disease that is common in elderly males. The enlargement of the prostate gland causes a narrowing of the passageway of the urine and leads to many urologic symptoms such as frequent need to urinate. This condition can be managed effectively by Urologists.
- Prostate cancer - Prostate cancer is the second most common cancer in men and usually develops in older males. The management of prostate cancer may require a team of urologist, oncologist, radiologist, and other specialists depending on the stage of cancer.
- Sexually transmitted disease - this is also a common concern for the sexually active male. Prompt diagnosis and treatment of STDs is necessary to prevent it’s spread to others.
- Male-pattern baldness - male-pattern baldness is a benign but socially-afflicting condition wherein a man loses his hair early. This condition can be managed by Dermatologists.
Men’s Health is also about promoting the well-being of a man. It is not just about diagnosing and treating health conditions; it is also about promoting good health and preventing illnesses. Topics of health promotion under men’s health may include diet and fitness, strength training, weight management, skin care, and others.