Days spent laying in bed injured are a terrible waste of time. They interfere with sports competition training and everyday activities and can cause great mental distress. There are many ways you can help yourself, however, and we have compiled a list of tips here:
- Get early and correct diagnosis - the RingMD platform is great for finding orthopedic surgeons and sports medicine specialists to help advise you.
- Don’t stop training - of course, the injured region needs to be rested in order for the tissues to regenerate back to their full strength. But, you don’t need to rule out all and every exercise. You can continue moving other parts of your body. In fact, in the case of most injuries, rehabilitation may still involve moving the injured area albeit in a different way or using more stability exercises.
- Stretching and myofascial release techniques can do wonders. Yoga, massage and salt baths also help to prevent muscle over-contraction.
- Get a well-designed nutrition plan that will speed up recovery time. This normally involves 2 components: eating the right types of food and eating them in the right quantities. A qualified nutritionist can help in this aspect. In general, a 10-15% increase in calorie intake is required, in addition to larger quantities of protein.
Omega-3 fats have been shown to be anti-inflammatory and therefore aid in healing. Vitamins A, B, C and D, potassium and other minerals have also been shown to support tissue regeneration, strengthen connective tissues and promote protein synthesis. Magnesium, in particular, has been shown to be important in injury recovery as it helps muscles relax. Some nutritionists also advocate protein shakes.
- Avoid alcohol - it’s been proven to impair the body’s ability to produce compounds required for muscle growth and energy.
- Get enough sleep
- Stay positive and committed - attitude is everything!
- Ask for help from professionals - this is where RingWell comes in.
The RingWell platform gives you access to fitness and nutrition experts who are well versed in reducing injury recovery time. The customized programs take into account the client’s specific injury, sporting requirements and other lifestyle factors. With our team of experts behind you, you’ll be back on your feet in no time!